What’s a keyword map?
As you identify keywords for your collections as you work on your SEO, I recommend adding tracking your keyword targeting in a consistent place. That way, it’s easy to keep track of the keywords you’re optimizing for and the pages targeting those keywords.
Speaking from personal experience, if you don’t plan this out (or map it out in a spreadsheet), it’s way too easy to end up duplicating your work, creating multiple pages, and targeting the same keyword multiple times across multiple pages.
I track this in a spreadsheet I call a Keyword Map. You can copy my Collection Keyword Map spreadsheet here: https://doubleyourecommerce.com/make-a-copy-of-the-collection-keyword-map.
(Or you can view the spreadsheet here before making a copy.)
What can you track in this collection keyword map?
You can copy and customize this free spreadsheet and:
- Track the keywords your collections are targeting
- Identify and track collection optimization opportunities
- Come back and re-optimize collections ~3-6 months later
You can track the following:
- Column A: Your collection URL
- Column B: The main keyword for the collection
- Column C: Any secondary keywords you’re targeting with the collection
- Column D: The SEO title for the collection
- Column E: The Collection Title
- Column F: If the collection has a description
- Column G: How the SEO title will appear in Google (automatic field)
- Column H: The date you last optimized this collection. (Great for knowing when to come back, review your rankings, and iterate on your optimizations.)
Make a copy of your collection keyword map
You can copy my Collection Keyword Map spreadsheet for 100% free. No tricks, no spam, and no email opt-in required. https://doubleyourecommerce.com/make-a-copy-of-the-collection-keyword-map
Now that you’ve finished reading this chapter on collection SEO, you can:
Or you can jump to one of these reader-favorite chapters:
- Collection SEO Digital Garden Index 🌱
- Collection SEO TL;DR Best Practices Summary 🌟
- Collection Descriptions and SEO (plus examples of Shopify collection descriptions) 💎
If you want help growing your Shopify store, I encourage you to check out my Shopify SEO + Growth services or get in touch and tell me about your store.