Recently a customer for a Shopify Growth Teardown (doubleyourecommerce.com/services/teardown/) asked about a feature in the videos.
Sometimes, when reviewing your store, I’ll pop open a Google search window and search for a keyword I see listed on a product, collection, or page. Then, I’ll see where you’re ranking in the top 100 and use that information to inform my recommendations for your site.
I do all of this without clicking through the pages of Google search results. I just search and immediately see the top 100 sites, each with a number next to them.
Here’s an example screenshot. You can see that I’m ranking #8th for ‘Growth Teardown’
Or #47 for ‘Done-for-You SEO’
The Growth Teardown customer asked me, ‘so how on earth do you DO that?’ and I realized there wasn’t a great guide on this topic. So here we are.
How do I do this magic? Here are the steps.
- Install the SERP Counter extension. This add-on numbers your search results to quickly see what position a page is in for a search. (This plugin has sadly been discontinued. This is a Chrome option. I’ll update this with links if/when I find them.)
- Set your search settings to show 100 results at a time. Click the gear in the top right of a Google search (screenshot), click ‘see all settings,’ and drag the ‘results per page’ slider to ‘100’ (gif). Now when you search, you’ll see (up to) 100 results.
- Finally, when I load a search, I’ll do a quick ‘Command + F’ (find) for the first few letters of the domain I’m evaluating (like Command + F + Double…). I pop to that domain in the search results or quickly see that they aren’t ranking for that keyword.
And there you have it! When you search for a keyword you’re evaluating, you can see the top 100 results, see where each page is ranking (without counting), and find your site in the results.
Looking to get insights into your store and what you can do to grow? I recommend you investigate my Shopify Growth Teardown, and get actionable videos and a ‘do this, not that’ report for your store. Read more about the Growth Teardown right here: doubleyourecommerce.com/services/teardown/
Wondering what you should read next? I recommend:
- Brutally Honest SEO Advice for Ecommerce Entrepreneurs
- Why your Shopify product won’t rank in Google (and what to do about it)